15 Jun A Portrait of Millennial America
*the following are based on actual statistics from high quality sources such as the CDC, Pewaukee, Barna, UCLA, department of defense, etc.
- 75% of U.S. high school students don’t meet “college ready” standards
- 75% of U.S. citizens ages 17-24 cannot pass military entrance exams because they are not physically fit, have criminal records, or because they lack critical skills
- 75% of U.S. students are not proficient or better in civics, as measured by the National Assessment of Educational Progress.
- 75% Millennials agree… with the statement, “Whatever is right for your life or works best for you is the only truth you can know.”
Arts, Entertainment, & Media
- Americans consume 34 gigabytes of data per day (mostly Visual) over an average of 9 hours per day.
- “more than 75% of prime-time programs contain sexual content.”
- Community was the top value promoted in the media in 1967
- Today the most promoted value in media is fame.
- 69 % are overweight
- The majority of rest are in shape for vain reasons- often damaging their body through unhealthy dieting, supplement, or steroid use.
- About 40 to 50 percent of married couples in the United States divorce. The divorce rate for subsequent marriages is even higher. That number is going down… but…
- It’s because percent of all births to unmarried women is now up to 42%. In other words, they aren’t getting married in the first place. Therefore, while there are less divorces, there are less marriages to begin with.
- There has been a 7% increase in Post Christian (2013-2015) identification in the last two years alone.
- 18% of US millennials moved from liking the church to being hostile toward church in past 5 years (50+million people in US alone)
With all of this in mind, Who Am I?
I am a fatherless generation with a 42% chance that my mother is the only parent in my life from birth. If I am lucky enough to have a father, I have nearly a 50% chance of losing him to divorce. Without parents, I am raised by screens. I spend almost ten hours per day in front of these screens, absorbing 34 gigabytes of data per day, which teaches me that the purpose of life is to be famous, physically beautiful, and wealthy. Nevertheless, because I have no parents and because I am insecure about myself, I have a 69% chance of being overweight, and if I am not overweight, it’s probably because I am making unhealthy strides to look good for people who will only love me if I am physically beautiful. I exploit my body to get a taste of that fame and attention I was raised to crave. As such, I have no idea how to have a real relationship, and even when I try to, no one else does either. So my love life is hopelessly doomed. I am even less likely than my mother to find and stay with a spouse to raise a child. I spend more time in school than any other generation in history, yet I am terribly uneducated and owe more money than I will make in a lifetime. I think I am educated, but really don’t understand why I believe what I believe. I just accept what the media teaches me. As such, I have no real sense of right and wrong. I think I get to define truth for myself. I am not even qualified to vote or serve in the military because of my inabilities. Above all, the screens have taught me that God isn’t real and that the Church is to blame for most of the suffering in the world. And because the church is anti-intellectual, unfriendly to those who are sexually promiscuous, and unwilling or unable to speak to my vocational identity, I will never return to Church, even for the sake of my children. I am the best connected generation in history and yet I am utterly alone. I have no true friends, family, church, or God. I may look pretty, polished, and put together in my pictures, but inside I am confused, depressed, and lost. I AM A MILLENNIAL. Please help me.
So how do we help them? Statistics paint a bleak picture of this generation and frankly this article doesn’t even skim the surface of the endless depths of struggles faced by this generation. Nevertheless, hardship is an opportunity. It is not enough to recognize the problem, we must also orchestrate a response. We must be solution oriented and here is the solution! 5 Ways To Change The World Forever!
WHAT DO YOU THINK? What must be done to help the next generation? Leave a comment below and share to get your friends in on the conversation.
For more like this, check out: SECULAR HUMANISM AND THE TYRANT NAMED LIBERTY